Search This Blog

Saturday, June 10, 2017

Cherry Chicken Salad



Connie isn't terribly fond of fruit.  Soup, fruit and corn.  That's pretty much his no-go list.  I could live on soup.  Mom's minestrone in particular.  But, I also love fruit and corn.  So, tonight when our cart at Costco looked like a Fruitopia, he wasn't amused.  Pears, peaches, cherries, clementines and red grapes all came home with us.  What are you going to make with all of that???  That was the question of the evening. 

I'd decided to make the cherry tabouleh I made last year.  But, we got home and didn't have cucumbers or parsley.  Most of my herbs are producing well.  Except for the parsley.  I'd bought a rotisserie chicken thinking I'd just go ahead and slice some to go with the tabouleh.  How about chicken salad with cherries instead?  Off to eatyourbooks.com and I found a plethora of such recipes.  Many called for tarragon.  Which I don't have.  A few called for dill.  Which I have in abundance.  I read all the ingredients in all the recipes and decided on my own recipe.  Which was fabulous if I do say so myself!

Cherry Chicken Salad
makes 4 good-sized sandwiches

Ingredients:

1 large chicken breast, cooked and chopped
2 ribs celery, diced
1 cup cherries, pitted and quartered
3/4 c walnuts, toasted and chopped
1 shallot, minced
1/4 c sour cream
1/2 c mayonnaise (or more to taste)
2 fronds fresh dill, minced
onion buns or bread, toasted or not



No comments: